Monday, March 21, 2005

If...

So, if I'm ever at a point where I've been in an accident, and for the past fourteen years I've been in a verified persistent vegetative state, and my spouse wants to remove my feeding tube, and a U.S. circuit court has upheld a decision to allow the removal of said feeding tube... PLEASE DO NOT LET THE U.S. CONGRESS CREATE SPECIAL LEGISLATION TO KEEP MY BODY ALIVE!!!

Oh my GOD! What has this country come to?!?! I guess the radical right republicans are flexing their powers to play God--the vengeful, old testiment God they want to force on the rest of their visionary new Amerika.

It's the same Amerika where they have the power to do their will, Constitution be damned. It's the same Amerika where the only people who get to attend presidential rallies are those who support the president. It's the same Amerika where the press corps includes insider "journalists" whom the president can call upon to ask easy, uncontroversial questions. It's the same Amerika where you are required to pray at work and in school to that old testiment God. It's the same Amerika where it's okay to discriminate against two men or two women who want to commit to a monogamous relationship. It's the same Amerika where they protect your right to be born but not to die. It's the same Amerika where the rich get to keep all their money and the poor get to be their servants. It's the same Amerika where they tell you to do as they say, but not as they do. It's the same Amerika where the president can tell an outright lie and then rewrite his rationale for actions taken based on that lie. It's the same Amerika where they won't let the arrival of the caskets of the soldiers killed because of that lie be shown on the news because the war is being won. It's the same Amerika we are currently living in. What happens tomorrow?

I find it incredibly ironic that the U.S. Congress is fighting so hard to keep a singular dead woman alive while more of our living sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces are dying every day in Iraq.

1 comment:

Cameron Brauer said...

Rediculous, isn't it? I'm planning on doing a final paper on "a duty to die." I'll have to send you a copy if or when I finish it. ;) As for you, I'll be sure to bring attention to this post if ever you're in that position. Same goes for me, if you'd do me the favor. Take care.

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...