Thursday, March 17, 2005

Some Stuff

A few things that seem to sort of go together at this very moment...

"We are constantly invited to be what we are" -- Henry David Thoreau

***

"There are two kinds of Christmas people," Mark Oliver Everett (of the band eels) says, "those who like their Christmas lights to stay on solid and those who like them to blink. As a kid, I always had a thing for sitting in the dark and watching the lights blink on and off at random." Now he says this fascination goes much further. "In the end, what we have are these little, great moments. They come and they go. That's as good as it gets. But, still, isn't that great?"

***

Ten Days, by Missy Higgins:
So we've put an end to it this time.
I'm no longer yours and you're no longer mine.
You said this hill looks far too steep if I'm not even sure it's me you wanna keep.
And it's been ten days without you in my reach,
and the only time I've touched you is in my sleep.
But time has changed nothing at all - you're still the only one that feels like home.
I've tried cutting the ropes and I let you go but you're still the only one that feels like home.

You won't talk me into it next time, if I'm going away your hearts coming too.
'Cos I miss your hands I miss your face. When I get back let's disappear without a trace.
'Cos it's been ten days without you in my reach,
and the only time I've touched you is in my sleep.
But time has changed nothing at all - you're still the only one that feels like home.
I've tried cutting the ropes, tried letting go but you're still the only one that feels like home.

So tell me, did you really think...
oh tell me, did you really think I had gone when you couldn't see me anymore?
When you couldn't...
'Cos baby time has changed nothing at all - you're still the only one that feels like home.
And I've tried cutting the ropes, I let you go but you're still the only one that feels like home,
Yeah, you're still the only one that feels like home,
you're still the only one I've gotta love. Oh yeah...

***

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." -- Robert Frost

No comments:

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...