Saturday, February 19, 2005

Alaska! Athlete! Alaska!

Three groups that are currently stuck on heavy rotation in my CD players:

Halloween, Alaska
www.halloweenalaska.com

They're a group from Minneapolis, mostly, and they'll soon have a new CD out. Until then, "Call It Clear" is fully embedded in my mind. One of the band's members is also in the Bad Plus.


Athlete
www.athlete.mu
I liked their first CD, and I'm really liking their follow-up, just released in England, available here as an import. The first single, "Wires," is immediately engaging, and the video for it is haunting. They get bonus points for a very cool website.

Built Like Alaska
http://www.builtlikealaska.com
Another Alaska, this one has ties a Grandaddy, one of many other bands I'm rather fond of. I found the melody of "Random Car" rolling around my mind all afternoon today. They definitely have an indie sound. I also like the cover art for their latest album. Clever name for their web message board: BLA Blah.

No comments:

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...