Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The new new wave

Speaking as a graduate of the class of 1985, I have to say I'm wholeheartedly supportive of the trend toward the new new wave. It's nice to see new wave updated for the new millennium, but it's still new wave when it comes right down to it.

Bands like Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, the Killers, the Futureheads, the Features, and Dogs Die in Hot Cars, among others, are resonating with an increasing number of music buyers. That's especially refreshing after about five years of former Star Search winners, Britney clones, boy bands, and American idols. (Even Kelly Clarkson's new single sounds somewhat like it could have been a hit for the Cars back in about 1984.) Could the wasteland that is American pop music be heading toward an oasis?

And now I've learned of the U.K.'s Kaiser Chiefs. The song "I Predict a Riot" is wonderful--retro and current, simultaneously! Check it out at www.kaiserchiefs.co.uk/music.php. You'll be glad you did. Althought it hasn't been released in the U.S. yet, I'm hopeful...

Now let's just hope the this stage in the evolution of popular music doesn't give way to a resurgence of hair metal for the 00's... (I hope I didn't just jinx it.)

No comments:

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...