Sunday, June 11, 2006

Funniest line in a long time...

I've been watching all the episodes of season 1 of The Venture Brothers, an animated satirical take-off of shows like Johnny Quest and the Hardy Boys. It's been on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim for awhile, and I was eager to get all the episodes on one DVD set. I was watching the bonus holiday episode, "A Very Venture Christmas," when I heard one of the funniest lines in a long time. Hank tells Dean "That gay albino is hitting on your not-girlfriend." I love this show!

Scene from A Very Venture ChristmasNot only is The Venture Brothers filled with fanboy references to comics and other 70s sci-fi shows, but it also balances with fully realized character development. Dr. Venture is an insecure pill-popper. Brock Sampson (a bizarroworld Race Bannon from Johnny Quest)is his disinterested bodygard who never uses a gun. The next door necromancer is reminiscent of Marvel Comics' Dr. Strange. And Dr. Venture's arch-nemesis, the Monarch, is a bumbling supervillian whose squeeze, Dr. Girlfriend, has a deep voice with a distincly east coast accent. And the situations are damn funny!

I'm eagerly anticipating season 2 on Cartoon Network on June 25.

No comments:

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...