Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Damn, I MUST be getting old

So, following my weekly new music Tuesday ritual, I stopped at Best Buy. I didn't see much other than the new DVD of all of the Scottish band Travis' videos, but I also picked up a few other CDs. I went to the check out, and the clerk, who I'd guess was probably in high school, asked me if the CDs were for me or if they were gifts. I said, "for me." (I did feel a little guilt about not buying any holiday gifts...but I'm just not ready to shop for that yet, damn it!)

He said, "Oh. Cool. I'm not trying to say you're old or anything, but this CD (new EP by the Omaha emo band Bright Eyes) is usually picked up by younger kids."

I suddenly felt very old and almost like I was trying to intrude on a different generation's music. I'd bought CDs by Bright Eyes before...and other emo bands, too! But this incident was a kind of reality check. He then said, "You ever heard of the Appleseed Cast? You might like them if you like this. I could write it down for you if you want." I said I thought I could remember that. In a way, I was flattered that he had a musical suggestion for me--RIYL (recommended if you like)--but I left the store feeling very self-consciously old. I checked for grey hair in the rear view mirror, even thought I know I have many.

Damn kids and the music they listen to these days...

It also struck me that I'm one of the oldest people on Blogger. After a quick perusal of "next blog" links and a few clicks to see who else listed common interests from my Blogger profile, I AM OLD. 38. I have seen a couple 32-33-34 year-olds with blogs, but mostly teens and twentysomethings. 38 is positively ancient. Sigh.

1 comment:

Cameron Brauer said...

Old? Ha! I disagree. And even if you were, it would be better to be among the old than among the masses of dead walking.

PS - Yippie for banjo!

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...