Sunday, May 22, 2011

1986 Favorite Albums



R.E.M. “Lifes Rich Pageant”
Eurythmics “Revenge”
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark “The Pacific Age”

I turned 20 in the fall of 1986 and began my second year of college. My musical tastes were branching out, mainly because I was listening to KUMM, the college radio station at the U of M, Morris. By far my favorite album was "Lifes Rich Pageant" (yep, no apostrophe) by R.E.M. I think it might just possibly be my favorite album of all time. Every song still sounds great even today. "Begin the Begin," "Fall On Me," "Swan Swan H," "Cuyahoga," "Superman," and all the rest... Eurythmics' "Revenge" was their most pop/rock oriented album, and I believe it's highly underrated. "Missionary Man," their lead single, really rocked and was accompanyed by a very cool video. OMD's "The Pacific Age" was one I remember eagerly anticipating. I was not disappointed, even though some felt it was weak. "(Forever) Live and Die" is still a favorite song... These three were on heavy rotation on my turntable all year.

1 comment:

MarleeImpersonator said...

Love your blog posts, and your brand new Famous Volcanoes CD will be in the mail soon.

My login name here is a reference to one of my friends and one of my favorite Indie artists from the late 90's early 00's, Marlee MacLeod. Check her out if you've never heard of her, although her CDs may be hard to find now.

Bruce

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...