Saturday, February 04, 2006

Rediscovering late 1960s/early 1970s movies

I've been on a bit of a movie kick lately, and, oddly enough, I've been gravitating to movies of the late 1960s/early 1970s. Actors like Elliott Gould, Donald Sutherland and Alan Arkin are the stars I'm watching. Just watched "Little Murders" (1971), a sort of bizarro comedy/satire with one of the most interesting wedding ceremonies ever captured on film. I've also picked up "Catch 22" (1970) and am looking for "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" (1968), but I don't believe that's been released on DVD. These films are filled with satire (ALWAYS a good thing) and are sometimes a little dark, but that's okay with me. On deck for this afternoon: "Catch 22".

Not quite fitting into the early 1970s category, I also want to see Bill Murray in "The Razor's Edge" (1984). I remember seeing it back then, but being 18 years old at the time, I am sure I didn't really understand it. Here's the plot summary: Larry Darrell returns from the battlefields of World War I to America a different person. His fiance resigns herself to a delay in wedding plans when Larry heads off to Paris. There he finds he prefers a simpler existence and begins to read. One book inspires him to visit India and on to Nepal where he finds spiritual help from a lama. On returning to Paris he finds Isabel and some old friends. Everyone has changed.

No comments:

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...