Monday, January 03, 2005

Hello 2005 (and welcome!)

So I woke up on January 1, 2005, and found myself in Solon, Iowa, of all places! I guess it really wasn't surprising, since I had driven down to visit my friends Chris and Heidi Patterson and their kids. It was a 390-mile, five-and-a-half-hour-drive, but it was worth it to see them all and spend some time ringing in the new year with them. Just two weeks ago they moved into their new home, which features a great family room, now complete with a very nice bar. We welcomed in 2005 with a few drinks, we talked, and we ate some great food.

Some of my favorite moments included watching the move "Garden State" with Chris and Heidi. They had never seen it, and I'm a big fan who is trying to spread the word about this nice, quirky film. I also enjoyed playing shot checkers with Chris (and winning!) and watching the extended version of "Return of the King." They are good friends and I miss them, but we just sort of pick up where we left off whenever we get together. I consider them more like family, actually. They say you should spend time with good friends on New Year's Eve, and I felt very good about the whole weekend.

It rained on New Year's Day! Then on Sunday, it was in the low 40s and sunny. It was so nice we could walk outside without jackets . What an interesting winter we're having. Driving back, the interstate got a little icy near Albert Lea, but was fine by the time I got closer to Sioux Falls. Now I'm back home and digging into work, which is also good. I look forward to the year ahead and the many possibilities.

No comments:

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...