Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Zen and the art of relationship maintenance

As I look back on 2004 I see a vast ocean of change. I have a new job, a new place to live, new coworkers, and I'm working on some new friends. That's always hard for me because it takes time for me to build that trust.

Anyway, I got to thinking that I renewed some friendships this year too. I got back in touch with a friend of mine from my UMM days (Paul Greenfield) who lives in Sioux Falls with his family. I reestablished communication with a couple good friends of mine from my time in Crookston--one lives in Las Vegas (Doug Sargeant) and the other works for the U of M library system (Anne Wogen) in Minneapolis. I still keep in touch on a regular basis with many folks back in Crookston (especially Alex and Holly, Peg, John and Deb, Sheila and Marcel, and many others) and I've been able to maintain my friendship with Chris and Heidi in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Karl and Jody in St. Joseph, MN. I still chat with and e-mail Cameron, my former student worker and friend who is now in grad school in Montana, and I still get to have a drink now and then with Doug Knowlton and Steve Shirley, friends from UMC who now have great jobs at Dakota State University in Madison, only 45 miles away. And over Thanksgiving I reconnected with high school friends Lea, Pat, and Brad and Mary. (You see, 20th year high school reunion is approaching in 2005.)

The phone and e-mail have helped me keep in touch, and these friends have helped me make my life transition to Sioux Falls somewhat easier.

My humble initial studies of Zen have left me with the thought the we should always live in the moment and appreciate our now. I try to do that, but it's also nice to know there are people out there from your past (and present), who are there for you even if you don't see them every day. All you need to do is pick up the phone or drop an e-mail. Thanks, friends! I hope you know I'm here for you as well. I hope to see each of you and all my other friends out there this coming new year. I also look forward to those new friends I have yet to meet in 2005.

Take care of yourselves, live in the moment, and don't each too much fruitcake!

No comments:

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...