Monday, December 13, 2004

What's south of South Dakota?

Place names are funny. What's south of South Dakota? West of West Virginia? East of East Timor?

It can get complicated too. I live in southeastern South Dakota. Aberdeen is in northestern South Dakota. In South Dakota we have East River and West River (the Missouri River basically cuts the state in half). There's a town in South Dakota near the North Dakota border called Mound City that is considered to be in the northwest part of East River South Dakota (did you follow that?).

I think it's interesting that if you start in western Europe and keep going west long enough, you get to what was once known as the Far East. Parts of the Midwest (mainly Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan) used to be known as the Northwest Territory. The West Bank is located in the Middle East. I could go on...

Then, toss in relative age: New England, New York, New Mexico, Nova Scotia (New Scotland). For some reason I think my favorite is New South Wales in Australia.

Now I've got that song "Stand" by R.E.M. in my head.

Stand in the place where you live
Now face North
Think about direction
Wonder why you haven't before
Now stand in the place where you work
Now face West
Think about the place where you live
Wonder why you haven't before

If you are confused check with the sun
Carry a compass to help you along
Your feet are going to be on the ground
Your head is there to move you around...


1 comment:

Cameron Brauer said...

Hilarious! I needed something giggle-worthy.

100+ Favourite Songs of 2023

Good music is out there. I just need to do some sleuthing to find many of the songs that comprise this list. Here are 100-and-some songs I d...